AI Programmer (f/m/d)
We are currently seeking creative and passionate AI programmers to join us as we create our next outstanding game using the Unreal Engine.
AI programmers work together with designers, artists, leads, and others to transform abstract ideas into working code.
They play a key role in bringing characters to life with artificial intelligence, make combat possible by crafting weapons and special abilities, and implement all manner of gameplay logic, systems, and tools. A successful AI programmer may be a specialist in anyone or more of these areas, or a generalist who thrives on diversity.
- Solid working knowledge of C++ with creative problem solving
- A university degree (not necessarily in computer science)
- Experience with recent AAA character-based games
- Passion for video games
- English language skills
- You will directly report to our Executive Technical DirectorThree team leads directly reporting to you
Not required, but a huge plus:
- 3+ years’ experience at a game studio and completion of at least one game
- General experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with AI in UE4 (behavior trees and blueprints)
- Experience with 3D graphics / rendering pipelines
- Experience with 2D graphics / user interfaces
- Strong linear algebra skills
- Code samples (optional – submit only code that you wrote and own)
- Test task* (expect about 8 hours, can be spread over two/three days)
- Online video interview
- Ideally on-site interview if possible, otherwise second online
*Test Task Information:
Here is some frequently requested information regarding the test task:
- The test is a self-contained Visual Studio project written in C++.
- Expect the test to take about 8 hours. Can be spread over two or three days.
- Complete as much of the test as you can in the given time.
- You will write code, troubleshoot bugs, and optimize.
- Correctness, approach, ability to follow directions, and style will be evaluated.
What else do we offer?
- Flexible working hours
- 30 days of holiday
- Competitive salary
- Green office, fresh fruits, coffee and drinks
- Fitness area in the studio
- Free German language classes
- Stability of a successful publisher paired with creative freedom of an independent studio
And the chance to work with a great team in an open culture where your opinion and input is always welcome and considered, beyond your dedicated task.
Why join Black Forest Games?
We are a team with a long history of looking for long-term companions – we are hiring for the studio, not for the project. This is an important part of our company philosophy. Talent is always welcome no matter where you are from. We offer a family-friendly work-life balance and a lot of flexibility.
Here you can work on IPs known worldwide and have a hand in shaping them.
As a bonus, Black Forest Games is located in one of the most beautiful and wealthiest areas in the South of Germany, located closely to Strasbourg, Karlsruhe and Basel. Getting here is easy, because of excellent traffic conditions – 3 airports about 30 minutes away, the Autobahn and the ICE station right around the corner. All of this in a region where kids still play in the nature and drive to school by bike.
You love everything about us, but you don’t want to live in Germany? No problem, lots of our developers are living cross the border in Strasbourg, France and get here easily by train or car. Strasbourg is one of the biggest cities in France with 500.000 citizens.