Senior/Mid VFX Artist (f/m/d)
We are currently looking for a VFX Artist to work with us on our upcoming projects with Unreal Engine 5.
To create our VFX we are using the tools which Epic provides (such as Niagara, Blueprints etc.) as well as a variety of licensed software (e.g. MAX, Substance Designer, Photoshop, ZBrush and Houdini FX, which becomes more and more a central part of our pipeline). In general we are very flexible and openminded for new techniques and software.
The ideal candidate should have the passion and the skills to create VFX which are visually stunning, well timed, often interactive, and still performant. We are looking for someone that enjoys coming up with innovative solutions and is confident enough to tackle them.
- Creation of Visual effects using Unreal 5 and a variety of technical approaches, matching the visual style of the game.
- Creation of most of the required VFX assets (meshes, textures, flow maps, image sequences, vertex animations, etc.)
- Communicate well with designers to collect all relevant information for the effect creation.
- Work together with VFX Lead, Tech Art and Code to ensure highest quality and best performance for effects.
- Follow through with an effect and keep it on the radar until it is fully implemented and working as intended.
- R&D for the effect pipeline – new tricks and techniques.
- Work on further improvements and customization of our existing effects toolset. (E.g. helping to build a library of useful material functions, Niagara module, VFX blueprints, etc.).
Reporting directly to the Lead VFX artist
- 2+ years experience as VFX artist in a studio (we are flexible regarding the experience depending on the quality of the portfolio, delivered test task and interviews)
- Experience with Unreal 5 (Niagara, Blueprints, etc.).
- Experience with Realtime VFX the obstacles and challenges.
- Being capable of VFX asset creation (meshes, textures, flow maps, image sequences, vertex animations, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to visuals styles.
- Ability to create custom shaders and post effects.
- Inquisitive mindset and creative approach to work: capable to create effects in a constrained environment (project specific performance requirements, amount of emitters and particles, etc.).
- Organized and responsible workflow to maintain file hygiene.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work within a team.
- Self-drive and being able to take over a complex task, follow through with it until it is fully integrated and polished in the game.
- Proficient English skills.
- Experience with video visual effects software particles e.g. Adobe After Effects.
- Keen interest in in CGI effects production.
- Basic programming or scripting skills.
- Passion to grow your skillset and to include a variety of techniques into your effects. (e.g., metaballs, fluid simulation, morphing, complex particle behavior, etc.).
- Willingness to invest into tools design, further development, and documentation (sending your requests to tools code team).
- General CG artistic skills, such as animation, camera work, hand drawing skills.
We would like to see your portfolio and reel
What else do we offer?
- Flexible working hours
- Work-life balance
- Additional health insurance
- 30 days of holiday
- Competitive salary
- Green office, fresh fruits, coffee, and drinks
- Fitness area in the studio
- Social events
- Relocation support
- Free German language classes
- Stability of a successful publisher paired with creative freedom of an independent studio
And the chance to work with a great team in an open culture where your opinion and input is always welcome and considered, beyond your dedicated task.
Why join Black Forest Games?
We are a team with a long history of looking for long-term companions – we are hiring for the studio, not for the project. This is an important part of our company philosophy. Talent is always welcome no matter where you are from. We offer a family-friendly work-life balance and a lot of flexibility.
Here you can work on IPs known worldwide and have a hand in shaping them.
As a bonus, Black Forest Games is located in one of the most beautiful and wealthiest areas in the South of Germany, located closely to Strasbourg, Karlsruhe and Basel. Getting here is easy, because of excellent traffic conditions – 3 airports about 30 minutes away, the Autobahn and the ICE station right around the corner. All of this in a region where kids still play in the nature and drive to school by bike.
You love everything about us, but you don’t want to live in Germany? No problem, lots of our developers are living cross the border in Strasbourg, France and get here easily by train or car. Strasbourg is one of the biggest cities in France with 500.000 citizens.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.