Senior Game Designer (f/m/d)
Black Forest Games is part of the fastest-growing publisher in Europe, Embracer Group, and the biggest studio of THQ Nordic Vienna. Our last release was the highly successful remake of ‘Destroy All Humans!’.
Here in the south of Germany, directly at the French border, we combine the creative freedom and culture of an independent studio with the financial security of a big publisher.
We are an international team, and we foster diversity. Sharing this mindset is a must for us. We are happy about every candidate that contributes to the diversity of our team.
Senior Game Designer (f/m/d)
We’re looking for a Senior Game Designer to take part in defining and driving the gameplay vision in our projects while providing benchmarks for quality expectation, creative designs focused on usability and originality, hands-on work in Unreal Engine 5, and work as a communicator towards other disciplines and teams.
- Helping shape and own the design vision along with the team and Creative Direction
- Prototyping, developing, and driving a strong design vision for game systems from conception to completion
- Owning the tone of the project with an eye towards deep & immersive gameplay, constantly engaging single- and multiplayer-usability
- Building and maintaining collaborative relationships with all development functions to ensure an effective design process and team environment.
- Championing the needs of the game from a design perspective to other stakeholders
- Assist junior designers.
- Creating and maintaining design documentation (on Miro and Confluence), helping create test cases and guidelines when necessary.
- Establishing clear quality and expectation benchmarks
- Balancing, calculating, and setting up gameplay data, testing and polishing the results
Reporting Lines & Teams:
- You will directly report to our Lead Game Designer
- You will represent GD when part of multidisciplinary feature teams.
- Minimum 5 years in game development in a design capacity
- Being part of at least one game project from conception to market
- Hands-on experience with rapid prototyping (blueprinting/scripting) and tweaking assets in-editor
- A good grasp of different genres’ core design mechanics and intended dynamics.
- Working knowledge of industry-standard game engines, design toolsets and pipelines
- Proactively remaining up to date with current design trends and player expectations
- A flexible and adaptive mindset to shift approaches when necessary.
- Fluency in English
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (idea pitching to different management levels, communicating feature requests in a timely manner, etc.)
- A player experience-centric mindset
- Passion and proactive attitude
Not required, but a huge plus:
- Good understanding of screen layout and readability
- Experience in leading and helping prepare focus tests.
- Unreal Engine 5 experience
- Good understanding of agile methodology
- Application via CV and portfolio
- Teams interview
- Ideally followed by:
- A test task or presentation of previous work
- An on-site interview if possible
What else do we offer?
- Flexible working hours
- 30 days of holiday
- Competitive salary
- Green office, fresh fruits, coffee, and drinks
- Additional free health insurance
- Pension plan
- Mental health support
- Free accident insurance
- Fitness area in the studio
- Free English & German classes
- Stability of a successful publisher paired with the creative freedom of an independent studio
- And the chance to work with a great team in an open culture where your opinion and input are always welcome and considered, beyond your dedicated task.
Why join Black Forest Games?
We’re a team with a long history of looking for long-term companions – we’re hiring for the studio, not for the project. This is an important part of our company philosophy. Talent is always welcome, no matter where you are from. We offer a family-friendly work-life balance, a lot of flexibility, and the possibility to send your kids to an international school nearby – all of this in a region where kids still play in nature and drive to school by bike.
You’ll get to work on our own self-published titles as well as on projects with major international publishers. You will be able to work on the newest hardware and software like Xbox Series X, PS5, VR hardware, and Unreal Engine 5 amongst others, as well as our in-house engine.
As a bonus, Black Forest Games is located in one of the most beautiful and wealthiest areas in South Germany, located close to Strasbourg, Karlsruhe and Basel, with excellent traffic conditions – 3 airports about 30 minutes away, the autobahn and the ICE station right around the corner.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.